Teacher Feature: Vanessa (Mak-Attack) Maki

Career:

Ms Maki is a teacher here at RAHS who has been teaching for 21 years. She teaches AP World History (10th Grade), AP U.S. History (11th Grade) and American Histories (11th Grade). Her favorite class to teach is AP U.S. History. 

She enjoys teaching many subjects about history but her favorite is teaching about the Civil War and Reconstruction. She stated, “the Civil War is a powerfully tragic yet heroic conflict in many ways and profoundly changed the direction of the country.”

When students are in need of help in her classes, she makes them feel welcomed and accepted. She stated, “If they aren’t asking for help I will try to approach them without making them feel singled out.  If they ask for help I do my best to be available to them during RISE time or after school.”

Ms Maki strives to bring her best attitude to school everyday. “The attitude that best describes how I show up each day is one of kindness.  I just try to be kind and welcoming to all of my students.  I think my relationship building skills are probably better than my teaching skills!”

Personal:

Ms Maki grew up in Hayward, Wisconsin and later attended the University of St. Thomas, graduating in 1999. 

In high school, she was a server in a restaurant resort in Hayward and continued working this job through college. In college she studied political science and planned to go to Washington D.C. to work on the Capitol Hill or for an organization. But by second semester she explored other options and landed on being a teacher.

Family/Hobbies

For fun, Ms Maki skis both downhill and nordic. She also likes crafting. She stated, “I like ALL the crafts a little bit but I mostly like fiber arts like crocheting, embroidery, weaving, etc.”

She shared about her family.  She has a husband and two sons who are 12 (6th grade) and 10 (4th grade).  Her older son is very creative as he likes to cook and bake, and also likes to play basketball. Her younger son likes all of the sports but mostly soccer and basketball. Her husband owns a college counseling business, helping families find the right college fit for their children.