Our Community, Our Voices. Roseville Area High School

The Ville

The Ville

The Ville

Teacher Feature: Mr. Michael Wilmes

RAHS Welcomes back Wilmes in his role as math teacher.

Career:

Mr. Michael Wilmes is a new Math teacher here at RAHS. He currently teaches Intermediate and Advanced Algebra. This is his first year at RAHS, although he has been a teacher for 15 years.

Wilmes transferred from Fridley High School where he taught since 2008. He loves teaching at RAHS and states, “I have been incredibly impressed with the students and staff at RAHS so far, everyone is pushing each other to be their best versions of themselves, but also supporting each other in this process as well.” 

He is hoping to bring in his knowledge of mathematics combined with culturally responsive teaching methods from his time at Fridley to be a helpful addition to the math department and RAHS as a whole. 

When students are in need of help in his classes, he creates a safe space for his them and lets the student know that, “I am there for them and I show up every day because I want to support them.” He strives to make the math lessons “clear and concise” so that students can understand.

Mr. Wilmes strives to “show up every day with a positive attitude…to be ready for students, and to encourage them to push themselves.”  He reaches out and pushes students to “be the best person that they can be,” which is what he loves about education itself. 

Personal:

Mr. Wilmes grew up in Roseville, went to RAMS and then RAHS, before attending to the University of North Dakota. In high school he ran Cross Country, skied on the Nordic team, and played Roseville Area Youth Basketball and Baseball.

In high school, he worked at Byerly’s bagging groceries, then Frank’s nursery, and finally as a host and server at Red Lobster. In college he studied mechanical engineering and mathematics. He found himself tutoring students in Calculus 2 and realized his passion was in education and not engineering. He really enjoyed his high school math experience and he wanted to foster that for the next generation. He gives thanks to his high school teachers at RAHS for making the experience enjoyable and fun. Those teachers that he recalls pushed him to aspire to be a mathematics teacher. 

Family/Hobbies

Mr. Wilmes and his wife went to Roseville Schools. They both graduated in 2003, but did not have one class together in K-12! They had many mutual friends and interacted during their RAHS 10-year reunion in 2013, and the rest is history. Now they have two kids in Roseville Schools, the oldest is a Kindergartener at Falcon Heights, the youngest goes to the Pre-K at Anpetu Teca.

Wilmes’ favorite hobby is disc golf. He still plays disc golf weekly with friends from Central Park, RAMS, and RAHS. He also enjoys board games, poker, spikeball, and kan jam.

He looks forward to continuing transitioning to RAHS from Fridley and helping students and staff as much as possible.