Summer Reading Top 3

3-I Must Betray You by Ruta Sepetys: don’t betray this book

I Must Betray You by Ruta Sepetys is a historical and political fiction. Romania in 1989 was covered in Communist regimes that were crumbling across Europe. Seventeen-year-old Cristian Florescu dreams of becoming a writer, but Romanians aren’t free to dream; they are bound by rules and force. Amidst the dictatorship of Nicolae Ceaușescu, Cristian is blackmailed by the secret police to become what’s known as an informer. He’s left with only two choices: betray everyone and everything he loves—or use his position to take down the most notoriously evil dictator in Eastern Europe. Cristian risks everything to help give voice to fellow Romanians, and expose to the world what is happening in his country. He eagerly joins the revolution to fight for change. But what is the cost of freedom when Everyone you love could be against you?

This story follows the Romanian revolution where Nicolae Ceaușescu turned Romania into a police state. Other countries were warning people not to visit Romania during this time. The characters are fictional but the events are real. 

Sepetys is known for writing historical fiction. Her books can get very intense and this one definitely had me scared at some moments. Sepetys writes in a way of making you feel like you are there watching this happen. This is a very interesting story because you can go into this with no idea about the Romanian Revolution (like most) and come out knowing much more about history. 

I give this an 8.5/10

2-Today Tonight Tomorrow by Rachel Lynn Solomon: Today? Tonight? Tomorrow? Read this book anytime

Today Tonight Tomorrow by Rachel Lynn Solomon is a Young-Adult romance novel set in Seattle. 

Today she hates him

Rowan Roth and Neil McNair who have been rivals for all of high school. On their final day of senior year after losing, valedictorian Rowan has one last opportunity to beat McNair, Howl.

Tonight she puts up with him

Howl is an age-old tradition for the high school taking the seniors all over Seattle, a farewell tour of the city Rowan loves. After realizing a group of seniors is teaming up against her and McNair there seems to be only one option, work together. Despite the years of hatred, Rowan learns more about McNair than she ever planned to. 

And tomorrow she may have already fallen for him.

Today Tonight Tomorrow is a wonderful light-hearted read. Even though it’s 384 pages it’s very fast paced. Solomon did a great job showing growth and individuality between both characters. This book captures the high school experience very well.  Something I really loved that Solomon did is, she would make fun of common things done in rom-coms and then do that same thing two pages later. After reading this it quickly became one of my favorites of all time.

I give it a 9/10

1-The Last Letter by Rebecca Yarros: I wish there was not a last letter 

The Last Letter is a military fiction contemporary romance novel by Rebecca Yarros. Beckett,

If you’re reading this, well, you know the last-letter drill. You made it. I didn’t. Get off the guilt train, because I know if there was any chance you could have saved me, you would have. I need one thing from you: get out of the army and get to Telluride. My little sister Ella’s raising the twins alone. She’s too independent and won’t accept help easily, but she has lost our grandmother, our parents, and now me. It’s too much for anyone to endure. It’s not fair. And here’s the kicker: there’s something else you don’t know that’s tearing her family apart. She’s going to need help. So if I’m gone, that means I can’t be there for Ella. I can’t help them through this. But you can. So I’m begging you, as my best friend, go take care of my sister, my family.  Please don’t make her go through it alone. -Ryan

When buying this book you should be given a free box of tissues, because trust me, you will need it. Yarros does an amazing job setting things up to make it seem okay then turning it the opposite direction. The way the characters were written came out very realistic. Ella and Chaos have one of the best relationship arcs I’ve read in a long time. The ending had me sobbing for 20 minutes and I had to put the book down because I was crying so hard. If you are looking for a sad love story and don’t mind crying, or are looking for a good cry this book is definitely for you. 

I gave this book a 10/10