Teacher Feature: Sarah Nichols

Professional Life:

Sarah Nichols, a career and technological education teacher, is teaching at RAHS for the first year. Nichols teaches grades 9 through 12, and a variety of classes like photography, woodworking, small engines, and intro to computer science.

Nichols previously worked at RAHS for 13 years prior as a librarian. She said, “I think I started working as the librarian when I was 24, but after working [at RAHS], I then went to work at Parkview Center School for five years as the media technology testing assistant, so that means I help students in a tech support role with their iPads, and all the testing like the MCAs.”

Her favorite thing about RAHS is her department and the students she teaches. She stated,”…The people I work with are really cool. Everyone’s an expert in their field and I have learned so much from them and I also love their willingness to share their curriculum with me. I love the students as well, I feel as if I’m more comfortable with the students so I can be more myself.”

A method Nichols uses to get to know students is by sending out a survey. She stated, “I sent out a survey at the beginning of [second trimester], basically asking students a lot of questions about themselves, kind of like a quick temperature check, and the way they fill it out tells me a lot about them. One of the questions I put on there is what can I do to support you if you’re having a bad day, and the variety of answers served as a reminder for me that everyone’s struggles look different.”

Nichols believes that the most important way she can support a student is through relationship-building. Nichols said, “Because student struggles all look different, the number one thing has to be relationships, so you have to get students comfortable enough around you to ask questions and tall prevent them from struggling and get students comfortable enough so that they know you’re on their team, and if you get to know them well enough, you will start to see them struggling when other people might not be able to.”

Personal Life:

Growing up, Nichols had her dad living in Wisconsin while her mom and stepdad and sister lived in Midway, St Paul. . In high school, she didn’t partake in any activities, including clubs and sports. She said it was because something about high school socially didn’t really click with her.

Nichols’ career first started in graphic design. She said, “Independently, I’ve done print and web, so I have a background in graphic, web, and UX design, and UX is basically user experience, which is looking at websites through the lens of the user, and designing the website around that.”

Nichols double majored in technical communication and professional writing as well as ethical studies at Metro State University. She also majored in design of user experience, while in her thirties.

She said, “[Metro State] has really good classes for working adults because a lot of classes are at night or weekends, so while working at the library, I really enjoyed that.”

Nichols’ blended family consists of her, her husband and all five of their children. She said, “I have two children out of state. My daughter goes to Parkview. We have a really mixed family because my husband is Cambodian, so it’s great.”

Fast Fun Facts about Sarah Nichols:

Hobbies: Doing crossword puzzles, drawing, puzzles

Biggest Fear: Forgetting everything in a large group of people

Go to Karaoke Song: Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers

Favorite Movie: Black Panther

Current show shes watching: Great British Bake-Off

Favorite Sport to watch: Soccer