Nordic Season is Underway

Roseville Nordic Skiing has just started. The team got a new coach last year, Marshal Landrum. This being his second year on the team, the atmosphere is “much more organized” according to Ginger Anderson.

New skiers are having to learn a new way to move their body, which can be a fun challenge for them. 

Second year skier Sophia Syverson says, “Having the base knowledge of how to ski makes the beginning of the year move a lot faster and makes it more fun. Your first season can be tough, so that should motivate you to come back!”

The Nordic ski team has not had a race yet this season, as they continue to be canceled because of not enough snow. Most trails in the Twin Cities are not open yet, or if they are, they only have a little bit of man made snow, making it challenging to ski long distances or race. The skiers are hopeful that their race next week, at Battle Creek Regional Park, will not be canceled, as Battle Creek has been making their own snow for the last few weeks.

Over holiday break, the Nordic team goes on a four day trip to ABR trails in Michigan, for team bonding, growth as a skier, and to have “so much fun!” according to freshman girl Elinor Rogers. Everyone is welcome to come along, and people who choose to participate ”grow a lot as skiers.” 

While the team is on the trip, they ski on the trails that were “third in the top cross country ski resorts in North America,” according to the ABR website, and stay in an AirBnB nearby.

The Nordic team encourages everyone who doesn’t do a winter sport to try out Nordic skiing. “It’ll be fun!” junior Sam Mermelstein says about this season.

.