Wrapping Up a Successful Girls Tennis Season

As October comes to an end, the girls tennis team has wrapped up “a very successful season,” according to Junior Sophia Dang. Senior and Captain Lucy Sundberg states that the “season went well, we only had two losses, (…) and made it to section finals which I was proud of.” The team finished with a win record of 22-2. 

At section finals, the team played indoors at Lifetime Fitness and came home with a second place finish. Dang states that making section finals was “a big highlight for our team” and said that the team was rewarded with a plaque and medals. Another highlight for the team was Junior MJ Haugen becoming the singles section champion and representing Roseville at state. 

Another highlight for a lot of players was being on a team with friends and making new connections. Freshman Catie Sagor shared that one of her favorite memories from the season was “being able to do a sport with friends and people I like.” Similarly, Sophomore Amrutha Konidenas “favorite moment was playing tennis with my friend, Lucia.”

One big change on the tennis team this year was a new head coach. After over 10 years of coaching, past coach Bruce Hashimoto retired, and Joe Johnston became the new head coach. Dang reports that “There is a big difference in their coaching styles, so it was definitely a big transition, but our seniors Amy Dang and Lucy Sundberg did a good job of leading the team.” Regarding the new head coach, Sundberg shares that “the transition was a challenge this year, but I think our team handled it well and was still very cohesive.”

The team is looking forward to having another strong season next year. Konidena says that she is “most excited about playing more singles and learning how to play offensively” while Dang says she is “excited to win more matches with my team, and hopefully make a run at state!”