Our Community, Our Voices. Roseville Area High School

The Ville

The Ville

The Ville

Three Roseville School Board Seats are Up for Grabs in November

Learn a little about the seven candidates vying for these spots
Picture of 2023 Roseville School Board.
Back (from left to right): Kitty Gogins, Mike Boguszewski, Rose Chu. 
Front (from left to right): Todd Anderson, Curtis Johnson, Mannix Clark
Picture of 2023 Roseville School Board. Back (from left to right): Kitty Gogins, Mike Boguszewski, Rose Chu. Front (from left to right): Todd Anderson, Curtis Johnson, Mannix Clark

Roseville Area School board elections occur during every odd numbered year in November. This year, on November 7th, three school board members will be elected to the board of six. There are seven candidates running: Todd Anderson, Mike Boguszewski, Rose Wan-Mui Chu, Karl Crump, Alan Holasek, Vaughn Klingenberg, and Adam Maier. 

It is important that every student and member of the Roseville community has their voice heard.  Students 18 and older can register to vote, and the more they vote, the more their voice is heard throughout the Roseville community. 

Voting age community member can learn more on registering to vote at https://www.ramseycounty.us/residents/elections-voting/voters and visit https://pollfinder.sos.mn.gov/ to find their polling place. 

With seven candidates running, it can become a lot of research to find out about all candidates. Here is information about the candidates including: their connection to Roseville, their goals, and targeted problems they see within the Roseville Community.

Todd Anderson

Todd Anderson presents himself running again for school board because as of right now, he serves as the clerk. Anderson has been a Roseville resident for 20+ years and is a parent to two children who go to Roseville Area Schools. In attendance at the League of Women’s candidate forum, held on September 28th, Anderson highlighted his investment in this community and said, “These are my continued priorities. Equitable student achievement, making sure all students and lifelong learners are able to reach their full potential and we do this by eliminating barriers and obstacles to learning.” Anderson discussed more details of his goals of improving literacy, providing more support to teachers and continuing to provide a stable community to Roseville. 

Rose Wan-Mui Chu

Rose Wan-Mui Chu is running again for school board as she is on the board right now as the treasurer. She has been a Little Canada resident for 13 years and has lived in Minnesota for 32 years. In an article written by Pioneer Press, Chu said she, if elected, would “center students’ needs and student success in all district priorities, services and decisions.” She also mentioned goals of being fiscally responsive with funding and engaging families in the Roseville community in advancing the district vision and ensuring success for all students.  

Mike Boguszewski

Mike Boguszewski is the third candidate that is running again for school board before serving as one of three directors. Boguszewski has lived in Roseville for 32 years with his wife and sees being a school board member as the, “…experience, time, and commitment to do the job.. making sure you’re here and present in the seats fighting for the kids and fighting for the schools.”  In attending the League of Women’s conference, Boguszewski stated his goals as, “…solidifying our equity and equity vision, really working to bring down those predictable disparities in our BIPOC kids, continuing work to eradicate anti LGTBQ+ feelings that might be in the district, that work has to continue.. And I really want to be a part of continuing and helping serve the kids and the students.”

Karl Crump

Karl Crump, a new candidate running has been a Roseville resident for over 15 years and has one student in the Roseville district. He wants to bring a new voice to the board and in an interview by NineNorth, Crump stated his goals as wanting to “make sure that all our kids are getting equal education in a safe learning environment…I would welcome community input because I believe we all have something of value to add to the discussion. ” He also emphasizes the disparities in literacy and math skills in students.    

Alan Holasek

Alan Holasek is another new candidate running for school board and has lived in Roseville with his wife for the last eight years. In an interview by NineNorth, Holasek stated his desire for a strong school district and said, “Roseville taxpayers have shown their support by school levies. We currently spend twenty thousand dollars per student per year.” Holasek also stated his goals if elected, “I will advocate for teachers so they can focus on the primary goal of educating our students and I will be accountable to voters for assuring that district spending leads to measurable academic growth.” 

Vaughn Klingenberg

Vaughn Klingenberg has made few public comments regarding his run. However, Klingenberg has attracted the attention of national press including Newsweek magazine who featured his anti semitic and controversial comments made online.  The Ville reached out to Klingenberg for comment but he did not respond to our request for an interview. 

Adam Maier

Adam Maier is a new candidate running for the school board, and he resides in Little Canada. Being nonpartisan, other information about Maier is unavailable and The Ville reached out to Maier for comment but did not get a response regarding our request for an interview.