A Diversity of Choices in these Spring Reading Recs

Travel throughout the world or back in time with these recommendations.

Annika Wilkowske, Staff Writer

Happy Spring! After April showers, we’re all due for some May flowers. 

Here are some vibrant, colorful, and exciting books to kick off your spring. 

The Beekeeper of Aleppo by Christy Lefteri

This is a fast paced story of Nuri, the beekeeper, and his artistic wife Afra. They live a quiet but rich life in Aleppo, Syria. But as war tears through their homeland and they’re forced to run. The Beekeeper of Aleppo is a heartbreaking yet inspiring story of strength and unexpected beauty. 

With The Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo 

This young adult novel follows teenager Emoni Santiago as she balances her love for cooking with being a young mother and student. This story will transport you to Emoni’s world. Full of images of food and Emoni’s love for her daughter, With The Fire on High is sweet and warm, yet deals with the difficulties of being a student, young mom, and person trying to discover who they are. 

The Bangalore Detectives Club by Harini Nagendra

In 1920s Bangalore, violence and mystery ensue after a shocking murder rocks the community. Kaveri, an intelligent and curious newlywed, gets closer and closer to finding the truth with help from her neighbors, husband, and mathematical skills. Defying traditional Indian gender expectations, Kaveri solves a mystery that threatens to wreak havoc on her community.

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery 

Anne of Green Gables is a classic story set in Prince Edward Island and follows young Anne Shirley. The red-headed and bright orphan is adopted by Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert and raised at their farm, Green Gables. Anne’s curiosity and excitement leads to adventure, friendship, and love… and makes for a fun read.