Students Expected to Participate in Asynchronous Learning the Day Before Winter Break

Naima Sheikh-Mohamed and Evelyn Sagor

Thursday, December 22nd marks one of many asynchronous days that the Roseville district has put in place for teachers, students and staff. Students 7-12 are still expected to report to each of their classes and do their assigned work. 

While confusion about this day is still in the air, the question is why even have an asynchronous Thursday? The reason for this day is that the district wanted to create more professional development days for teachers/students to catch up. 

Administrator Naida Grussing-Neizel said, “The professional development that we have created supports the implementation of strong AVID Reading Strategies…Students should expect teachers to post a meaningful activity for students to do on Thursday for each period.” 

Teacher Sherah Regenold said  she and many other teachers heard about the proposed asynchronous Thursday for students and staff: “…They informed us last year during a district meeting in May and again at the beginning of the year about this day.” 

Many students were caught off guard by asynchronous Thursday. While some report where they learned about this day weeks ago, others say they only recently learned about it. 

Freshman Jayda Wilson said, “I learned about it three weeks ago, in the beginning of the trimester, and it really made me think of the day as unnecessary. I heard it was because of our late start Wednesday.”  

Some students see no use for asynchronous days near winter break. Senior Maryamo Ahmed said, “I think asynchronous days are useful, but having it near break seems very dumb, as some kids have plans over break.” 

As students’ opinions differ, students regardless will still participate in the activities. Sophomore Francesca Geffre said, “I do not believe asynchronous days are useful to our learning because people just treat them like an extra weekend day… I will get the assigned class work done on Thursday so I don’t have to worry about it over break.”

Many teachers express confusion over what to assign on asynchronous Thursday, as they receive little to no instructions on what exactly to teach. Teachers report wanting to wrap up learning on the last in person class day as well. 

As teachers view these expectations as confusing, some are simply viewing asynchronous days as opportunities for students to get support from their teachers. Teacher Jennifer Danielson said, “The asynchronous day is a good time to wrap a project, get extra help, and help support the students in any way we can.” 

With Thursday approaching, part of the student body views this day as relaxing, as it seems to them a day to catch up and ultimately relax from the rigorous five day schedule.

Junior Amelie Nickel said, “I feel great knowing that Thursday is asynchronous. It makes my winter break feel longer and gives me a longer break from having to come into school…I believe that asynchronous days are useful to our learning. Although it is important that we are actively learning for 5 days a week, coming into school 5 days every week can often be overwhelming.”

Asynchronous learning is something that will continue to receive mixed feelings from both staff members and students but ultimately the RAHS community will see whether or not the district continues to implement these days in the school calendar.