Quarantine Stories at RAHS

Tristan Chapin, Staff Writer

The main focus for students at RAHS this year regarding COVID-19 is the mask mandates but wearing a mask is much better than the alternative of having to quarantine at home for a long period of time. Not only are infected students stuck in a room for multiple days unable to see anybody but they become fall behind on schoolwork and miss out on activities.

Devin Neely, senior, had to stay in his basement for two weeks without seeing his friends or family.

One consequence of quarantine is falling behind in school. Neely said, “I got really far behind and it was hard to dig myself out of that hole because I lost a lot of motivation to do schoolwork”.

Neely was a starter on Roseville’s varsity soccer team and had to attempt to stay active while having the virus to stay prepared for his return. “I would run on the elliptical in my basement but not for very periods of time because my breathing was really bad,” said Neely.

Neely also did his best to stay involved with the team by checking in with his teammates.

Being in quarantine for two weeks also takes a toll on a person mentally. Neely also battled with slight depression because of being in the same spot for a long period of time without being able to go outside.

Another RAHS student Alden Wright, senior, had to quarantine for a full month in his room because of COVID spreading throughout his house starting with his dad, then a week later himself, and eventually his mom.

When it came to his schoolwork Wright lacked motivation which led him to get significantly less work done and the work he did get done, being of much worse quality than his work pre-quarantine. “It was way harder for me to motivate myself to even get up for school, much less do schoolwork,” said Wright.

When asked about trying to do schoolwork specifically for his AP US History class, Wright responded, “It was impossible. I got way behind and didn’t catch up until the end of the trimester. There was me or my teacher could do to help me either”.

Being in quarantine for a full month, Wright’s mental health greatly deteriorated to the point where he was diagnosed with manic depression and began seeing a therapist. This was the culmination of the stress from getting behind in school, not being able to participate in his sport, not seeing his friends, and having a severe sickness.

In conclusion, while the mask mandate may be a real annoyance, contracting COVID and having to quarantine for weeks on end, missing friends and family.