Our Community, Our Voices. Roseville Area High School

The Ville

The Ville

The Ville

AAPIHM: Celebrating Culture and Community

This month, May 1st through the 31st, we celebrate Asian American and Pacific Islander Month. During this month communities celebrate the accomplishments and contributions of Asian Americans and Pacific Americans with community gatherings, government sponsored events and educational based activities for students.

History

The effort to recognize Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders started in the late 1970s. However, It would go on to take 10 more years until it was officially made into a month long celebration. It originally started with a week-long celebration that was proposed by Representatives Frank Horton of New York and Norman Y. Mineta of California and then signed into law by President at the time, Jimmy Carter, in 1978. The month of May, or more specifically the week of May 4-10, was significant to Asian Americans as it marked the arrival of the first Japanese immigrants in America and the completion of the transcontinental railroads (workers were the majority of Chinese immigrants). Finally in 1990, President George H. W. Bush would turn the week-long celebration into a month long one and the month of May would  officially be recognized as AAPI Heritage Month.

Importance

AAPIHM serves as an opportunity to educate the general public about the history, challenges, and experiences that Asian Americans faced. It also raises awareness on topics such as discrimination, immigration and racism that Asain Americans and Pacific Islanders have to deal with. It also gives opportunities to celebrate the diversity of Asian cultures. These cultures are filled with rich traditions, complex languages and histories that deserve recognition. AAPIHM also gives us a chance to celebrate and honor the many contributions Asian Americans and Pacific islands have made to the United States including: arts, literature, science, technology, sports, politics, activism and business. It’s important to acknowledge the vital roles Asian Americnas have played in our society and how they continue to do so. 

Meaningful ways to celebrate AAPIHM

1. Educate Yourself: With even a quick google search, there is tons of information about the diverse cultures and history of Asian Americans. Even reading this article right now is another push in the right direction. Read books, watch documentaries, or explore online resources to deepen your understanding.
  2. Support local AAPI-owned businesses: Show your support for AAPI by shopping local businesses, restaurants and stores. 
  3. Explore Asian/Pacific art: Museums such as MIA and the Walker Art Center have AAPI artwork that expresses their history and culture 
  4. Acts of service: You can participate or volunteer to support AAIP communities by assisting with language classes, help with cultural events and do mentorship for AAPI youth. 

With that I’d like to say, Happy Asian American and Pacific Islander Month! I hope you get a chance to celebrate this month and have a wonderful May!