Our Community, Our Voices. Roseville Area High School

The Ville

The Ville

The Ville

No Snow? No Problem.
No Snow? No Problem.
Evelyn Sagor and Sophia SyversonFebruary 9, 2024
Missing from this picture is Senior Jack Riley.
Not a Trivial Pursuit: RAHS Knowledge Bowl Competing at Nationals
Naima Sheikh-Mohamed, Co-Editor-in-Chief • February 9, 2024
RAHS Celebrates Black History Month
RAHS Celebrates Black History Month
Aryana Berhane, Junior Editor • February 9, 2024
Erik At The Movies: Godzilla Minus One
Erik At The Movies: Godzilla Minus One
Erik Larson, Staff Writer • February 9, 2024
Erik At The Movies: A Presidents Day Special
Erik At The Movies: Malcolm X
Erik At The Movies: Malcolm X
Erik Larson, Staff Writer • February 8, 2024
Alpine Ski Season Recap
Alpine Ski Season Recap
Melia Conrath, Junior Editor • February 8, 2024
RAHS Choirs
RAHS Choirs
Ayanna Churcher, Staff Writer • February 8, 2024
Benson Boone’s new single, “Beautiful Things.”
This is Benson Boone
Annika Wilkowske and Amelie NickelFebruary 8, 2024
Ms. Przepioras classroom full of green.
Classroom Colors Impact on Learning
Ainsley Jakaboski, Staff Writer • February 8, 2024
PSEO Students: Experiences and Information
Black History Month Book Recommendation: Such A Fun Age by Kiley Reid
Evelyn Johnson, Staff writer • February 8, 2024
Death in Her Hands: Book Review
Death in Her Hands: Book Review

RAHS Celebrates Black History Month

This February RAHS will honor Black History Month with events, entertainment and lessons to celebrate the many ways Black people have contribute to our world.

RAHS will celebrate Black Girl Magic week Monday, February 12th through the 16th with spirit days and events.

Theo Burrell (9) said, “[Black History Month] is important because it tells the true story of the past…It tells people that our lives matter and that we will continue to thrive regardless of the pains and horrible actions that are put upon us.”

Layla Sheikh-Mohamed,(11), confirmed Burrell’s view, celebrating the importance of Black History Month. She said, “ Black History Month is important because Black people in America have been an overlooked minority for so long and have faced many adversities that a month in honor of that is quite necessary.”

Jerebea Gbojueh (10), said “[Black History Month] is important because it’s a time we can reflect and educate people about our history. It’s time for us to gain recognition and spread our culture.”

Students at RAHS shared what being Black means to them and their identity. Burrell said “[being Black] makes me feel very empowered and like an important human being to society. Being Black has pushed me to love myself more…”

Sheikh-Mohamed also exuded pride regarding her Black identity.  She said, “It’s a description of who I am on the surface, anyone can look at me and be able to distinguish that I am Black, but the experiences and community that comes along with being Black are what make me proud of my identity.”

Gbojueh confirmed Sheikh-Mohamed and Burrell’s statements when she said, “Black is my identity, who I am, and what community I’m a part of.”

Carter G. Woodson was a scholar and the second Black person to get a Ph.D. degree from Harvard University, according to the NAACP.  He had the intent of celebrating Black people’s voices when starting “Negro History Week” in 1926, which was celebrated on the second week of February. He later extended the week-long celebration to be month-long, starting in 1976.

Black History Month was created as a tribute to the many Black people in the world who have made an indescribable impact on society. When Carter G. Woodsen started this honorable month, he was motivated by the ways he and other Black people were not being seen for their hard work and to teach people of the impact of Black people.

Woodsen was an author of many books and a prime historian, but was not acknowledged for his work. He was a contributor to the American Historical Association but was prohibited from attending conferences that were held because of the color of his skin.

With this experience, he decided to create something that would honor the many contributions of Black people. He founded the Association for the Study of Negro Life and History, which then led to Black history month.