RAHS Students Find Time to Make Differences in Our Community

The first trimester is ending, and the second is kicking into full gear. RAHS activities are in full swing, including the service-focused Key Club and National Honors Society (NHS). Even outside of those associations a variety of students are volunteering for different purposes.

National Honors Society is a group that stands for academic excellence, leadership, and community service within our high school and the nation. NHS is led by Ms. Jodi Kyllonen and four senior leaders: Amy Dang, Lucy Sundberg, Ava MacIntyre, and Addie Hansen. From organizing community service projects to participating in leadership development programs, NHS members shape a positive and impactful school environment.

Right now NHS seniors are hosting a Winter Drive, running December 11th- 18th. The Winter Drive is collecting items such as clothing and winter gear, new toys, food shelf items and toiletries. These items go to a homeless shelter in Saint Paul where the needs of individuals are going to be met.

Collecting winter gear and clothes is very important as we reach winter so that we can provide as much support as possible. Please consider donating your items to NHS and the Saint Paul homeless shelter so that we can aid the community. Red drop-off bins are located across the hall from student support services, where you can drop your gear.

People find their motivation and commitment behind volunteering in many ways. Sam Mermelstein (11) stated, “I was inspired to start volunteering to have an impact on my community.”

Anthony Black (11) also added to that sentiment.  He said that he wants to “Give back to the community.”

Bea Holterhaus (11) agreed and stated, “Seeing issues in my community like food insecurity and homelessness made me want to find a way to help, and having groups like NHS and Key Club at RAHS makes volunteering accessible and easy to do.”

The impact of student volunteers in our community has helped many people, shelters, and organizations. Students often reflect on volunteer work that has been especially impactful.  Holderhaus said, “at the end of Feed My Starving Children, they showed us the amount of people we fed for a year in Ukraine, it was around 70 people… it was great to see the actual number of people we impacted.”

Mermelstein also enjoys the rewards of volunteering.  She reflected on the outcomes of her volunteer experience teaching kids to ski.  “One moment I noticed a specific impact volunteering… is when I saw kids that I teach to ski, join ski teams.”

Black shared, “I volunteered for a school carnival… when I volunteered for this, I helped kids stay engaged and have fun.”

Ryan Duce (11) said, “I helped to clean up highway 36 last year for the ski team; it had a notable impact.”

Although high schoolers have very busy lives- with classes, sports, clubs, and homework- it is possible to find ways to volunteer in our community. Students explain their experience with balancing academics and extracurricular activities with volunteering. Duce volunteers at school so that it is “easier to balance my schedule by not having to commute extra time to said volunteer opportunities.”

Holterhaus said, “I make sure that I’m caught up on homework so that my weekends are relatively open.”

Anthony said, “I try to find time to volunteer once a week.”

As we are already one third through the year, students share their favorite volunteering projects they have been involved in. Francesca Geffre (11) said, “My favorite volunteering project that I have been involved in was a Halloween event because I got to see a lot of cute kids in costumes.”

Holterhaus said, “last year I helped with a mural in the commons… the whole process was super fun and it felt good to be a part of a project that added more color and to that space in the school.”

Mermelstein’s favorite volunteer project has been “MYSL which is a program that teaches little kids how to ski”.

Volunteering can sometimes be challenging. Students reflect on a struggle they have had while volunteering. Mermelstein said, “One challenge of volunteering is finding the time to do it.”

Black said another challenge of volunteering is “finding adults who are willing to give up some of their time to work with you.”

If you are wondering about getting involved in community service, here are some tips to get started. Geffre shared, “When you are volunteering, try to get ahead of it so that it’s not the day of the event, try to be able to get out there and plan ahead.”

Mermelstein said, “Find something you are passionate about and see how you can do volunteering related to that.”

Collaborative volunteer opportunities with friends or family can make it more enjoyable. Black shares a collaborative volunteer opportunity when “volunteering for Key Club and working with other students worked to make Christmas cards for people in the community.”

Many students are volunteering at different organizations in our community. Will they continue to volunteer outside of their commitments to clubs that are service-based? Geffre said, “It’s rewarding and fun, especially if you can get someone to do it with you.”

Black also agrees and says “I will be volunteering again and I am working on building an organization for NHS for students to volunteer at, I’m very passionate about it so I’m excited for it to come into action.”