Our Community, Our Voices. Roseville Area High School

The Ville

The Ville

The Ville

Feature Elective: Art of Film

As the trimester comes to a close, Art of Film students reflect on their experiences in the class. 

Art of Film, an English elective taught by English teacher Addison Engelking, covers the different aspects of film, including what makes a film effective at: storytelling, connecting with viewers’ emotionally, and aesthetically.

The course is set up so that students watch films in class and discuss them for two-thirds of the trimester. Students then spend the final third of the course working in groups to create their own short films, which are then presented on the last day of the trimester. 

Overall students learn a lot from the class. Senior Rowan Sanders said, “There’s a lot of interesting information about film that I didn’t know before.”

Additionally Senior Kaius Young said, “I now know a lot more about how movies are made and everything that goes into making them.” 

When asked about the workload Sanders said, “If you’re looking for an easy elective this definitely isn’t the easiest, but it’s pretty light in comparison to other … traditional English classes.”

Young added, “It’s not a very heavy [course-load] if you space out the bigger projects and do them over time.”

Students especially like the course’s flexibility and that they have a say in deciding which movies they watch.

Students also enjoy the freedom of choosing what stories they want to tell in their final projects which can range anywhere from a hopeful story about a girl breaking free from a harmful relationship to an epic tale about a fated ping pong game between a banana and an ape. 

Overall, students recommend the class for anyone interested in film or even to anyone who knows nothing about them but is willing to learn more. As Young said, “It’s the most fun class I’ve ever taken.”

Because it counts as an English credit (of which two are required for seniors), many students choose to take it in their senior year.

Those who take it earlier have a standing invitation to attend the short film showcase on the last day of each trimester where students watch the films made for their final projects and give feedback to the creators.