Is Reading as a High Schooler Important?

Throughout RAHS, it is a fact that high school students read less and less throughout their high school career. Even some of the most avid readers as a child say that they read less and less now- some don’t even at all. 

As children get older and become teenagers, they gain more of a social life, have more homework, and have other commitments, like a job, or a sport. However, reading every day, for even just ten minutes, does not lose its importance. 

Sandra Martin-Chang, of professor of education at Concordia University, has a study on the benefits of reading for fun, and says, “While children in kindergarten and early elementary school tend to read storybooks as they develop their reading skills—often sharing the experience with an adult—by high school, the nature of reading changes as students are expected to read a steady diet of more challenging, information-rich texts. Somewhere during that transition, a love of reading seems to fade.” 

Reading lessens stress, even more so than other stress reducing activities, like watching a movie or TV show, or scrolling through TikTok. This is because when reading books, you have to visualize the plot, and make your brain work for it, versus in a movie, it’s shown right in front of you. This involvement of imagination can make someone momentarily forget their worries, and reduce stress. 

In younger children, reading daily improves their reading abilities, and strengthens vocabulary, spelling, and comprehension. Reading more helps students become better readers and students.

These patterns do not end in childhood, as reading daily can help prevent and slow down dementia. Dr. Holly Schiff, a clinical psychologist in Connecticut, says that reading may stop the development of beta-amyloid deposits on the brain. These are a characteristic of Alzheimer’s disease.

Reading can also help build up reserves of healthy brain cells. Dr. Schiff says, “By building this brain reserve, it can help compensate for the damage caused by Alzheimer’s, and because the brain is able to compensate and continue to function, the onset of dementia may be delayed.”

To sum up, studies have shown that reading is very beneficial for mental health, and can improve your learning capacity. Starting good reading habits now will improve your life throughout adulthood.

Sources:

https://www.edutopia.org/article/benefits-reading-fun/

https://www.everydayhealth.com/healthy-living/ways-reading-books-can-be-good-for-your-health/