Our Community, Our Voices. Roseville Area High School

The Ville

The Ville

The Ville

Tough Start Brings Hope for the Future of RAHS Football

After a rough couple of years Raider Football breaks their streak.

The RAHS Football Team is in the midst of another season. This year the Roseville Raiders hired a new head coach, Andy Stephenson, but after beginning 0-5, it seemed the season might be similar to the previous couple years. Last night, though, Roseville broke through in a big way with a win over new division opponent, Hopkins Royals, 30-0, bringing the Raiders record to 1-5.

The 2023 season brings a new division as the team moved to the Metro Maroon Division and has been facing new competition, such as Buffalo, Eastview, Park of Cottage Grove, Burnsville, and Hopkins. The Raiders are learning to adjust to playing in the Metro Maroon and are playing closer games each week.

The team captains are Senior William Devries (#30), Junior Javon Minor (#7), Senior James Darling (#21), Junior Owen King (#55) and Junior Tommy Sobasky (#59). 

Roseville has struggled on offense this season but has had a steady defense. Junior Tommy Sobasky got his first varsity sack against Woodbury. Sobasky also remarked that his favorite thing about RAHS is “The football team…and the people [he’s] met here.”

The new coach, Andy Stephenson, has experienced a lot of positive energy and good feelings, even though the record might not show improvement yet. 

Freshman Dupree Winkleman says, “He is a really great Coach…He is very big on the family aspect.” 

Tommy Sobasky adds, “He is a great Leader…and I think that’s what Roseville needs.” 

Coach Stephenson’s favorite part of coaching football is “watching [the players] grow and improve.” 

Football fans and students can join the coach in cheering on the team and celebrating the growth and improvements the team makes each week. Their last home game is on October 13th against White Bear Lake. This game is also “Pink Out,” a fundraiser with proceeds going to the American Cancer Society.