For Dahlin Fashion is a Serious Subject

Michael Kysylyczyn, Staff Writer

Amy Dahlin shows creativity, inspiration, and style through her outfits. As teacher at Roseville Area High School, Ms. Dahlin teaches Critical Reading, Pre-AP English 10, and AP Humanities. 

“Bright blue and green plaid pants, some suede shoes, a fairly neutral white t-shirt and a long green sweater” says Ms. Dahlin, describing her outfit. Ms. Dahlin puts thought into her outfits more than what meets the eye. 

“I wake up slowly, the alarm goes off, and I let it go off twice” says Ms. Dahlin, “Between the first and second time I think, how am I feeling today, and if I’m feeling not great, I always then default to thinking about my outfit. [If I am in a bad mood] I go to clothes that make me feel good. . . You have to dress to put yourself in a better headspace.” 

“Another thing I think about in the morning is it texture, is it weight, is it silhouette?” says Ms. Dahlin, “I think, I got this chunky wool sweater and I’ve got this glossy enameled necklace that goes against the texture of the wool, that [relationship of textures] I think is very interesting.” 

Ms. Dahlin puts thought into every outfit she wears. She also puts thought into what wearing that outfit means for herself and others. Ms. Dahlin talks about Iris Apfel, a famous designer known for her bold style and viewpoints.

“[Apfel believes] self-expression is a fundamental human right and fashion is one of the most accessible ways that people can express themselves” Ms. Dahlin explains, “[Apfel believes] we have so many structures in our society that chain people, that is all garbage. You cant listen to that, you have to to think about what makes you feel good, and how you want to express yourself.”

Furthermore, Ms. Dahlin explains her viewpoints on ways people have come to term with their shapes, and acknowledges her personal job as a role model. 

“In America, Women seem to get praised for reducing themselves to such a state where they almost disappear, the smaller you are, the better you are,” Ms. Dahlin says, “It just seems like a metaphor for making women be quiet, and I don’t like that. . . Looking at how to dress a body that’s not a size zero, these are big questions, and these are questions kids ask. I try to be a positive role model by recognizing that I don’t have the fashion model body.”

In Ms. Dahlin’s life, no one told her how to dress. Over her years she’s taken inspiration from places she’s traveled and experienced. She’s learned what she can wear to make herself feel good. Ms.Dahlin explains that thrifting, or even shopping in New York might not make you happy. She emphasizes that you don’t have to be rich, or have access to designer clothes to find a nice outfit.

“[Apfel believes] self-expression is a fundamental human right and fashion is one of the most accessible ways that people can express themselves” Ms. Dahlin explains, “[Apfel believes] we have so many structures in our society that chain people, that is all garage. You cant listen to that, you have to to think about what makes you feel good, and how you want to express yourself.”

“In America, Women seem to get praised for reducing themselves to such a state where they almost disappear, the smaller you are, the better you are,” Ms. Dahlin says, “It just seems like a metaphor for making women be quiet, and I don’t like that. . . Looking at how to dress a body that’s not a size zero, these are big questions, and these are questions kids ask. I try to be a positive role model by recognizing that I dont have the fasion model body.”

In Ms. Dahlin’s life, no one told her how to dress. Over her years she’s taken inspiration from places she’s traveled and experienced. She’s learned what she can wear to make herself feel good. Ms. Dahlin emphasizes that you don’t have to be rich, or have access to designer clothes to find a nice outfit. She explains that thrifting, or even shopping in New York might not make you happy.