Registration at RAHS

Ava Negrete, Editor

With so many options, registering for classes can be challenging. Amber Krug, a counselor here at RAHS, thinks that the hardest part of registering is creating a balanced schedule, “Students need to have classes of high interest to balance out classes that may be more difficult to engage in along with balancing rigor and balancing school expectations with activities, athletics, part-time jobs and family obligations”.

Besides balance, post high school plans determine the kinds of courses students should put in their schedules. While taking rigorous courses, Krug states that “Knowing whether you want to go to school in the Midwest versus on the coasts may determine if PSEO or AP is a better fit”. You can consult with your guidance counselor about what you’re planning on doing after high school to figure out what credits would be the most useful for you.

Talking to people is a great way of figuring out what classes to register for. http://filemaker.isd623.org/registration/ has course descriptions, but it is also important to have an inside perspective. Talking to students who have taken the course, as well as teachers in the department is a good way to gather information. When gathering information, Krug thinks it’s important to ask “what did you learn?” from the course instead of just “what did you like?”.

Registration can feel overwhelming because it is planning for the future. Krug remarks that “Students need to spend time individually and with their families considering how their course registrations will help them build skills, explore areas of interest and help them get ready for their next steps after high school”. Knowing what you want, and asking for help makes registration less stressful. The guidance counselors are prepared to help students with registration and will answer any questions regarding it.