RAHS Students and Teachers are tired of having minority groups underrepresented in AP classrooms

Talia McWright, Staff Writer

Talia McWright, Student Writer

September 20, 2019

Students in Roseville Area High School have recently expressed feelings of discomfort due to the amount of students of color compared to the amount of caucasian students in AP classes. 

Students and Teachers brought up the “Achievement Gap”, as the main cause of this dilemma. 

According to EdGlossary.org, The “Achievement Gap” is described as, a significant and persistent disparity in academic performance or educational attainment between different groups of students, such as white students and minorities.

Multiple people explained that they feel their caucasian counterparts often receive the most attention in class.

Freshman, Testimony Babatunde-Omoya stated, “I think that no matter how intelligent you are, your white peers will always get most of the attention and time to talk or be called on during class.”

AP Humanities Teacher, Ms.Dahlin said, “I’d say generally, voluntarily white kids tend to feel more comfortable and confident talking than any other kids.” 

Senior, Nina Thompson agreed claiming, “I feel that mostly white kids felt a part of the discussions, even if a class was pretty diverse, I don’t know why.” 

Junior, Youssef Abdallah claimed, “In AP psychology there are a lot of ignorant jokes made by white students, that I mean, just aren’t funny.”   

Students were saddened and upset by the lack of diversity in their AP classrooms. 

Freshman, Testimony Babatunde-Omoya said, “I mean I always or at least usually looking around to see how many white students to colored students there are in my AP classes and how it kind of irritates me that there isn’t enough diversity in the classrooms.” 

Senior, Serenity Primus said, “I’m the only black student in my AP art class, In a way it makes me feel powerful to be able to represent the black community, but it is also sad because other people of color aren’t represented in that class.” 

Senior, Nina Thompson stated, “Teachers don’t push for diversity enough.” 

Teachers too felt upset with the underrepresentation in AP classrooms and would like to see this change.

AP Language and Composition Teacher,  Mr.Engelking said, “You will have an African American student who is one of two African American students in a class of 35, that makes it hard. My job has to be to make sure that they feel a part of the class.” 

AP Psychology Teacher, Ms.Westland said, “I have between 70-80% white students in my classes and there’s kind of this idea that, that’s the way it’s always been and that’s horrible.” 

AP Humanities Teacher, Ms.Dahlin said, “We want representative classrooms.”