Roseville alum Mike Muscala made his NBA dream a reality

Back to Article
Back to Article

Anthony Claveau

Roseville native Mike Muscala was selected 43rd overall in the 2013 NBA draft by the Dallas Mavericks then immediately traded to the Atlanta Hawks on draft night.

That came as no surprise to Muscala’s former high school coach and current Roseville Middle School English teacher Brett Pierce.

Pierce said, part way through Muscala’s senior year at Roseville High School they were playing 4 on 4 on 4 full court make it, take it drill. They were playing to 7 points.

Muscala had a dunk, a three, and a mid-range basket in 3 possessions. A drill that would sometimes go for 12 minutes lasted 50 seconds.

After the drill, Pierce told his assistants, “I think he can play in the league”.

Muscala had all the right ingredients to make it to the NBA. Peirce said, “He was very intelligent, works hard and was a great teammate. He was a great passer, could dribble, and could shoot with both hands”.

Three very elite skills for big men in the NBA. Muscala had all three.

On the night of June 27, 2013. Pierce was able to be with Muscala at his draft party. “I was so proud of him, he is a terrific person.”

Pierce also said, “He was an excellent student in high school and college, he worked really hard to get where he is and he is just a very humble person overall”.

After being drafted, Muscala played for the Atlanta Hawks for five seasons. His best year came during the 2017-18 season. He averaged a career high 7.6 points, 4.3 rebounds and 1 assist. While shooting 45% from the field and 37% from behind the three point line.

After the 2017-18 season, Muscala was traded from the Atlanta Hawks to the Philadelphia 76ers in a 3-team deal.

However, his time in Philadelphia didn’t last long. Just after 47 games, he was traded to the Los Angeles Clippers then immediately traded again just a day after to the Los Angeles Lakers.

He finished his 2018-19 season with the Lakers. Then was able to hit free agency for the first time in his career.

Over the summer, Muscala signed with the Oklahoma City Thunder on a two-year, $4,300,000 deal.